User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on the front-end design of my e-commerce platform

I am not an artistic person and consider myself "artistically challenged." I'm starting a small online retail business and I wrote the e-commerce platform myself. It works well, but I'm not sure that it is very pleasing visually, so I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me. Everything from layout, to header colors, to buttons, etc., would be very helpful to me.

Here's my site: http://tinyurl.com/bd7dps6

Please note that I am only looking for advice regarding the e-commerce platform (everything under the "Store" tab), and not other sections of the website.

Thanks for your help

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nat,

You have a good start here. My only suggestions would be to make a way for your images to be enlarged and to add more content about items in the store from the summarized listing page. I see that by clicking on the image there are some slightly larger ones on the product page and more of a description however you should magnify it even further. You may be able to increase conversions in this way if people can see exactly what they are getting.

Hope those suggestions help,

Shawn

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there. First of all , you should work on that logo, yes it`s cute but not very professional, doesn`t tell me anything related to tech. Another aspect is do something with that forum related links, doesn`t inspire much confidence, but makes me think what is that, a forum, or a store? Ah, and lose that logo you used for the logo, just use a normal sans serif one. Buttons - go for plain square buttons, as your site has only square corners there. I would realy go for opencart or some dedicated cms for a shop...

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think the logo is fine. The design is nice and clean and quite attractive.

I'm glad you have a subtitle that gives some indication of what the site is for. All too often, this is lacking. However, from that point there isn't really anything that draws me in, no call to action that helps me get started. It might be useful to have a friendly intro on the home page—in larger lettering—to tell me why this is a good place to do and kind of nudge me to the next thing with some big links. Are there some specials? Is there something in particular I should look at if I'm not sure where to start? Can I find out a bit more about who's behind this site?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Personally, I think the logo is fine. The design is nice and clean and quite attractive.

I'm glad you have a subtitle that gives some indication of what the site is for. All too often, this is lacking. However, from that point there isn't really anything that draws me in, no call to action that helps me get started. It might be useful to have a friendly intro on the home page—in larger lettering—to tell me why this is a good place to do and kind of nudge me to the next thing with some big links. Are there some specials? Is there something in particular I should look at if I'm not sure where to start? Can I find out a bit more about who's behind this site?
    Thank you for your input, that's very helpful!

SitePoint Enthusiast jacksarloks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put a description and better picture of each item you have. A one line description is enough.

E.g. in breakout boards you have: 10A Power Relay
    Write a one line description of what it is.

The store homepage: http://www.foxytronics.com/app=homepage
    It lacks purpose I don't know what it is there an article or what is that?
    If a visitor lands on the Store page don't give him article links... put that if you have to in the right column.
    Then instead of it you can feature some items, maybe:
    Latest Items
    Sale Items
    or just Featured Items

Jack
    No B.S. SEO Crash Course >> http://www.nobsseocrashcourse.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You website lacks in social media buttons. Connect you official account with website for branding and awareness
    the home page has too much empty space. I can just see one news on the home page. You need add more in it to cover space
    I would suggest to use a thumbnail image of the news at home page on the right side,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat3 View Post
    I am not an artistic person and consider myself "artistically challenged." I'm starting a small online retail business and I wrote the e-commerce platform myself. It works well, but I'm not sure that it is very pleasing visually, so I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me. Everything from layout, to header colors, to buttons, etc., would be very helpful to me.

Here's my site: http://tinyurl.com/bd7dps6

Please note that I am only looking for advice regarding the e-commerce platform (everything under the "Store" tab), and not other sections of the website.

Thanks for your help
    Hi,
    In honest words, I do not think that your website is looking like an E-commerce website. Anyone will not think that this is a professional website. Try to make something better so that user can understand the purpose of website. Just take a look on other websites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if the store section should be starting with news rather then a page with best sellers or latest added products. The small thumbnails could be bigger on your product pages as they are too small right now. The pale background and pastel colors could be spiced up a little bit for more eyecandy and attraction. I assume this is a mod for a forum software as an e commerce solution. Have you tried using a shopping cart script on its' own with it's custom themes ? I think it could give you a little bit more flexibility as well.

Best of luck with your site !