SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jainteq - I think you are right. If you have some ideas or suggestions that come to mind, please let me know.

I do get email signups but I think it could be much better.
    Finally, harness the power of responsive web design. 41% off for Sitepoint members only until the end of September 2013.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jainteq View Post
    No doubt the site is clean and clear, but i don't think so this site will attract users, somewhere it is lagging maybe the color selection.
    Went through the whole websites - didn't notice any lags.
    Do you recall where did you see it and which browser are you using?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneK View Post
    Went through the whole websites - didn't notice any lags.
    Do you recall where did you see it and which browser are you using?
    I think he was referring conceptually to the site's look and feel. I may be too deep in the project to see that.
    Finally, harness the power of responsive web design. 41% off for Sitepoint members only until the end of September 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great design for school site, i will suggest you to make favicon icon, this make make more beauty

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I like the compact look, as everyone else has mentioned. It has a very sharp look to it and it maintains a narrowed-down color pallet to the optimal 3 for aesthetics.

However I suggest utilitizing all of that extra white-space for extra readability. Most modern presentation sites use the full length of the browser window to display their content because it increases readability and further enhances the message. Also, a little personal preference of mine are a bit more pictures, please consider.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jasongold - Thanks. I recently moved the favicon to Amazon S3 and didn't release it for public viewing. It should be there now for IE and Safari. Note this feature doesn't work for FF and Chrome (only after you bookmark or open a new tab).

@bnynn - Thank you. Where are you referring to white space use?

I do use photos for post headers and inside certain posts. Were you referring to another location?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brettr Sorry for not specifying, for both, I was referring to the home page as the blog posts are just fine. I suggest spreading out all of the text to and adding images to make it seem more like a presentation. like this product page One thing that you could do is:
    seperating the strategies (business, foundations, etc) into seperate minimalistic images.
    Adding a book image next to "6 steps to boost web traffic" and giving that a space by itself.
    highlighting the subscribe button and form by making it a bit bigger and with hover-over properties.
    basic things like that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bnynn - Ok, I'm starting to see what you mean. The tinkeringmonkey site looks great. Where I have the partial background, gray section on the homepage, I might replace that with an eye catching image instead. Then within it is only one topic. Not sure if that would be the email sign up or something else. Maybe the shields would go in it.

Can you elaborate on the minimalist images you mentioned? I'm not quite following.

Also, do you have any other website examples about how I could highlight the subscribe form? tinkeringmonkey was a great example.

Thanks for such creative ideas!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brettr Yeah no problem!

For further inspiration, have a look at some great product landing pages
    Specifically, one of them, giftrocket seems to match your cause. They have large buttons that easily attract attention, and they show what I mean by minimalistic images: Although the images are probably arranged differently than what your site, each of them provides quicker browsing in a sense that it is less text to digest and more content to enjoy.
    Last edited by bnynn; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:57. Reason: reply statement
    If you have the time, check out my website: nightstuffs.com
    I LOVE THE INTERNET, ALL OF YOU!!!! :3

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing @bnynn! You've given me lots of ideas to work with. There will be changes

I like this http://designmodo.com/the-bricks-addons/.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brettr xD no problem! Also if you need any other assistance and such, i'm free for help, send me a PM. ;D have a GREAT day.
    If you have the time, check out my website: nightstuffs.com
    I LOVE THE INTERNET, ALL OF YOU!!!! :3

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bnynn - Cool. Thanks again!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe to think you have a very good web and the layout is clean and we get what the site is about when we watch. we only do have one suggestion. Its about the brief signup form you have in the center of the page is not very easy to see
    Last edited by DaveMaxwell; May 21, 2013 at 09:24. Reason: removed url

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have one suggestion. Its about the brief signup form you have in the center of the page.
    Last edited by DaveMaxwell; May 21, 2013 at 09:24.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @onapthanh and @Jere33my: Are you talking about the current design? There's been a redesign since my last post. The sign up is now front and center and fairly large. Please let me know which part you find to small.

Thanks again for the critique!

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this site would benefit greatly with an improved header / navigation. As it is now the content feels a bit modern, but the header, especially with the red gradient, feels totally dated and doesn't fit right.

I would extend the header the full width and use the red bar you already have at the top. Make the red bar like 60px or so high and put your logo in there and increase your nav links to like 18px. This would improve the design drastically IMO.

I would recommend removing the text images, like on your courses page, and replace it with real text to keep the site more uniform.

Those are a few recommendations I have.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey slayerment, these are great suggestions. For the header, do you mean something like this HBS? But replace the company name with the navi in the (their black) strip?

Yes - I will be removing the text images on the courses page. Those were there before I got a font CDN with the specific font family I was interested in. Now I can do it in pure text.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt you have done the great job. Layout of the website is so clean and simple. I also found some interesting content on your website in which you have added some useful analysis in the inner pages of the website thatís very good on the behalf of the seo.

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brettr View Post
    Hey slayerment, these are great suggestions. For the header, do you mean something like this HBS? But replace the company name with the navi in the (their black) strip?

Yes - I will be removing the text images on the courses page. Those were there before I got a font CDN with the specific font family I was interested in. Now I can do it in pure text.
    Yes, just like this and include the navigation up there also. Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty nice and soft navigation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New navi has been implemented. Thanks again @slayerment.

I have a different question for the group. Sitepoint is great for critiquing the look/feel and message of your site. But I'm also interested in critiques about content, which Sitepoint may not be the place for. Does anyone know of something similar to Sitepoint that you can have content critiqued?

I bring up content because I often read about new sites that explode into thousands of visitors after 2 or 3 months. The reason they say is always because of their content. I'd like to think I have great content. I won't write a post unless it is great (at least in my mind). I get good comments on the content as well. Yet, Google doesn't seem to like the site and the flood of shares aren't there either. This all seems puzzling (I think it is great, others think it is too but nothing from Google and no shares).

When you view the site, does it seem to make sense or do you think, "I have no idea what this is about"? I think the navi update has done wonders for this site. As more content is added, I believe that will also help focus the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sincerely, both sidebars are empty and there is lots of free white space Also, I don't understand the idea of white bar? Have you checked your site for larger resolutions? Definitely, there are lots of free spaces. I would fill that space with some interesting info that may attract your audience

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right - no sidebars. No distractions.

What do you mean by white bar?

As for larger resolutions, the site expands to around 800px. No gain after that.

I have to disagree about lots of free space. The content is fairly concentrated. Maybe if you can give a specific example?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey brettr,

What I wanted to say, in your header section, first you have dark red line, then white bar or section. They seems empty, why not use those sections for social buttons, some banners, for example a 728x90 banner of your website. That's what I mean but I didn't say that your idea is bad :P Just some suggestions , you better know what you intend to do

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see what you are saying davidstar7. I haven't fully decided what I'm doing to do with that little white strip. It's fairly small though and not distracting. Eventually, I'll need to do something there.

But no banners or social icons. That's a completely different type of design from what I'm going after. Thanks!