User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like to know what you think of my site

I would appreciate any one that can review my site: http://www.bitesizebschool.com.

All comments are welcome, negative or positive.

Thank you.

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brett,

I think you have a very good start here. The layout is very clean and I get what the site is about when I arrive. I do have one suggestion. Its about the brief signup form you have in the center of the page. The button for the signup is not very easy to see.

In general if you have an action that you want users to perform when they arrive on a page, it should be very obvious and easy to complete. Make your button bigger and make it stand out by making it a contrasting color.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shawn. I've updated the subscribe button color but haven't yet increased the button size. I'll do some split testing and see what happens.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout and simplicity of the website but I don't think it will have impact on your users, as in do you think the design will attract your potential customers and make them explore the site.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a site built for education, and doesn`t follow the trends of today's fashion. I think it`s a good site for your target audience, but lacks on content - i understand that this is the beginning, and maybe some visual aids for user friendliness.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... I think there are too many different treatments of your text. Like there's all caps one place, then regular case somewhere else, then serif somewhere else, and a whole bunch of different sizes all throughout.

I like everything from the top down to the subscribe form. Maybe try to homogenise the treatment of the text below that. Like stick to just about three different sizes for the whole page total. Maybe the "Productivity", "Foundations", etc. could return to the same all caps and at the same size as the navigation. And the "Recent post..." stuff could be the same font and size as "For practical, manageable..."

I'm not a big fan of the black rectangle on the bottom. It looks out of place, as if it's a banner ad.
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change "Blog" title page to "Bitesize Business School Blog", or "bitesizebschool.com Blog: Your slogan".

And same for "About".

That's just my idea, all thing perfect.
    9HWD.com - The HD Wallpapers Network.
    FB covers

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

@hamidonline: Can you expand on that?

@webcosmo: ...maybe some visual aids for user friendliness.
    Do you have some specific suggestions?

@Shaun(OfTheDead): Yes - I'm aware of this issue. I'm using Georgia for article/post content then Arial for headlines (mainly homepage). The problem with consistent font sizes, it doesn't allow anything to be emphasized while other content is de-emphasized. But this is only an issue on the homepage...for now.

@bigu_c: Like it. Done.

Thanks again. This is a great feedback.

Brett

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting from good part:
    - Clean and neat design
    - Well made slogans
    - Good looking logo

Now actual comments:
    First impression that I got is that you have a opt-in landing page here.
    Before asking somebody to subscribe to your newsletter you have to explain what's in it for them.
    Make a clear value proposition here - why should people read the whole website.

About Page
    - Your photo would better if centered
    - Make the "About Me" in bold - it will help to logically divide the text.
    - Expand the "About Me" section and tell more about your background and mission statement.

Hope that helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like your site to have uniformity of text . Generally site is simple and elegant layout.

I think it would be better if you could put the picture somewhere else rather than along the footer. Also some interaction for the user.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice simple layout, I agree on making the picture at the footer more visible, because a lot of people don't even scroll down to the footer. So maybe place it right above the first container.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Brett, you site seems nice but just a little advice here. firstly, the most obvious problem with the subscribe form is the prompt in the left one , which isnot displayed completely, all the viewer can see is enter you first r???, the rest doesnot show at all. and secondly, i am sort of confused by the objective of you site, you only want the user subscribe the articles you offer or you have a specific place to let people communicate with you or each other? if the later, i just cant find out the register area. That's just my idea, hope helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the great comments. I'm considering where the bottom photo might fit best. A number of people have commented on moving it for better visibility. I agree. It will take reformatting the page so I'll need to plan how best to place it.

@Annelie

I'm not sure what you mean by "first r???". I imagine what you are seeing is some browser compatibility issue. Can you say which browser and OS you are using?

Thanks,
    Brett

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the way you have designed your site. It's simple and clean, i think dates in the blog page doesn't show much attention. This is just my opinion if it would be better to place it below the title of the blog. I notice that your page is also responsive and the image doesn't resize according to the screen. Have you tried putting width:100%? I think this might solve your problem

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. There's debate whether to use dates or not and how much difference it makes. That's still fairly inconclusive though. But I'd like to leave dates at the bottom for now. However, I may experiment with putting them at the top and see if there is any difference.

Actually, the site isn't responsive. I've done some custom mobile programming to help it along in certain areas though. I'm still working on it. I went for maximum desktop experience and now slowly working in more mobile compatibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your web sites Related to Engineering But Don't Show any Images in websites. So First of All Add some Images Look real As Like ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website is simple easy but homepage not have dynamic features as slider or videos.I like your blog and read some of articles.its really amazing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layout is great. Only 2 things I don't like are the font of the largest text on the landing page, and I think the footer would benefit from rounded corners.

When you click the 4 main buttons, it hangs for too long before loading, and the buttons on the pages it loads to could use bold font.

For the hang issue you might consider making the landing and category pages static, then from those pages with the different categories it loads the heavy php. I use bluehost too and get a lot faster load times...only time it slows down is if I have a WP template with a lot of widgets/plugins..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a friendly critique...

I would make the header bigger to fill up the beginning of the page.
    The website's content area is a bit narrow for my taste.
    I would make the whole site wider (design wise). In other words to fill up the page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking about content.
    You can add some engagement with the people here.
    Look how Depaul University did on their website (http://www.depaul.edu)

They have this section "Explore DePaul" - this way I can jump in reading about the school right away.
    What you can do, is to put in a widget that rotates the content from your blog, so the readers don't have to dig through your website and read interesting articles right away.

There are couple of places where your can get it for free.

<snip>
    Hope that helped.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 15, 2013 at 04:06. Reason: Promotional links removed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better site but I suggest to improve post pages. You must add some social share buttons on post so that people can share on their social networks and you will be driving much more traffic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the clean layout, it makes the site very easy to navigate. You really should add a unique description tag to each page though if you want to build search engine traffic and if you intend to add social buttons you should implement open graph tags. Also, on the categories pages you have buttons for each link, the text changes from center aligned to left aligned on hover. It's not a huge issue but it's not consistent.

Other than that good job and good content. Good luck with your MBA.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sevcangul - Yes, it will evolve though. Thank you.

@makestuff - I see about a 2 second (maybe a little less) pause before the target page completes. But it is inconsistent. Sometimes it is a little longer. The thing about using a static category is that the blog is one category. The shields are linked by tags. That happens because http://www.bitesizebschool.com/thebook/ is also a category. I'm considering splitting these but that is a decent job.

@Bahousecleaning - I've been contemplating making it a little wider. I will try it at 50px wider than maybe push for 75 or so.

@EugeneK - thanks about the Dupaul site. I'm kind of doing that with the four shields and recent posts at the bottom of the page. But I can see how adding a blog entry under each shield might be more engaging.

@alastairbrian - I just recently added this. I'm using Flare.

@JeremyC - Thanks. I have social sharing buttons now for post pages. Good catch on the alignment issue.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Apr 17, 2013 at 06:33. Reason: removed link

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dirdwe - Actually, it's a business principles site. I show online businesses how to use these principles to build traffic and convert visitors.
    Finally, harness the power of responsive web design. 41% off for Sitepoint members only until the end of September 2013.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt the site is clean and clear, but i don't think so this site will attract users, somewhere it is lagging maybe the color selection.