SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Images on header not aligned correctly

Ok I am at a loss as to how to take the two side images on my header and spread them farther apart. The site is at http://foxdenwebsolutions.com/discri...lry/index.html. I tried using the inspect mode of Chrome and when I move it over by using a negative value, part of the image disappears. The site is responsive and I am using the 1140 grid framework. Don't pay attention to the smaller versions as I have not fixed those yet. The header container is more than 960 pixels and so is the row element. I just don't understand what I am doing incorrectly. The logo is also sitting on the header. If you have a more efficient way of handling all three, please let me know so I can get this done for the client. She wanted something on the header besides the logo as it looked bare to her. Thanks.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi, cgacfox. Let me suggest a couple of changes.

In your HTML page, change div "container header" so it looks like this:
    Code:
    <div class="container header">
        <div class="row">
        	<div class="flourish1"></div> <!--flourish-->
            <div class="flourish2"></div> <!--flourish-->
            <div class="logo"><h1>Discriminating Lady Jewelry</h1></div> <!--logo-->
        </div> <!--row--> 
    </div> <!--container header-->
    In style.css, make the following changes:

Line 64
    Code:
    .header .logo {
        width: 435px;
        height: 412px;
        background: url(http://foxdenwebsolutions.com/discriminatingladyjewelry/images/logo.png) no-repeat;
        margin-left: 340px;    /* DELETE ME */
        position:relative;     /* ADD ME */
        margin:0 auto;         /* ADD ME */
    }
    Line 86
    Code:
    .flourish2 {
        background: url(http://foxdenwebsolutions.com/discriminatingladyjewelry/images/header_flourish2.png) no-repeat;
        height: 370px;
        width: 214px;
        float: right;
        margin-top: 29px;    /* CHANGED FROM -385px */
    }
    The indents in the HTML were a little confusing. Re-indenting made the solution clear.

The floating flourishes need to preceed the non-floating Jewelry Lady in HTML.

Both flourishes have the same properties, except that flourish1 floats left and flourish2 floats right.

The Jewelry Lady is given {margin:0 auto;} so she is centered on the page. {position:relative} will keep her above the flourishes, should the page narrow that much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, ronpat. I appreciate your help and guidance. Now on the changing things for different devices. Smaller devices will not have all the background images because of bandwidth complications. I will opt for just the background colors.