SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to set up a simple form with FrontPage and I'm having a bit of trouble.

When people fill out the form, I want the results emailed to me and also a confirmation page to appear. I know FrontPage can do that, but since I've set up the form, I preview it in my browser and I see this:

<Frontpage save results component>

Just above the form on my page.

What the hell? Why is this showing up? I can see the code in the HTML and it's the FrontPage code for displaying the form settings. But why is this message appearing on my pages when I preview it in my browser?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    fade

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Frontpage form features require that the page be parsed
    through Frontpage extensions on a server. If you simply
    preview with the browser locally without running a webserver
    (like PWS or Apache) then you will see that message you are getting.
    Go ahead and publish to a server or get yourself a local server and then preview the form page there.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recommendation (and that of many others, no doubt), is to ditch any aspect of FrontPage that requires extensions...I'd checkout Matt's Script Archive and grab a copy of FormMail if I were you - requires some configuring, but it's not too tough, and I'm sure someone here would be willing to help if you get stuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi fade,

My first question: does your server support FP extensions?
    If not:
    1) what type of mail program do you have access to?
    2) if none, follow Commish's suggestion
    3) if your isp has a form mail program, you will need to redesign the form without the <webbots...> -- this includes any validation routines you told FP to make, and write the validations using javascript.

Moral of the story: Always look a gift horse in the mouth and be more Missiourian, whose motto is: 'Show me

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I goofed. Only AFTER I posted here did I think "Maybe I need to up it to my server THEN view it".

It works now. I was thinking of ditching the FP extensions and using a script but I don't want to mess with that now. Maybe later on because I have too much to do as it is.

Thanks.
    fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    My recommendation (and that of many others, no doubt), is to ditch any aspect of FrontPage that requires extensions...I'd checkout Matt's Script Archive and grab a copy of FormMail if I were you - requires some configuring, but it's not too tough, and I'm sure someone here would be willing to help if you get stuck.
    Here we go again... Why in the world would you reccomend something like that? If you simply want to create a form, and not become a programmer, why not take advantage of the many features of FP extensions? The FP extensions allow you to send the results of a form to an email(s) receipiant, a private back-up on your Web, a database, or an existing CGI script with a few mouse-clicks.

[Edited by westmich on 10-13-2000 at 11:32 PM]
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with westmich. When you're in the learning process, working with WYSIWYG editors is a plus. They often teach one html. FP is a bonus - not having to understand anything about programming in order to utilize a form! I don't use it, but have helped many a client with minor FP problems. I think it's very handy, especially for sharp operators who don't have a lot of html experience. Glad you figured out the problem, fade.

JMHO,
    Melanie