Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about buying a keyword with one of the following,

http://www.goto.com
    http://www.kanoodle.com
    http://www.sprinks.com

Anyone have any experience of these or advice before I take the plunge?
    Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number #1 tip - don't bid on "a keyword" - BID ON A LOT OF KEYWORDS

Goto has far more traffic than Kanoodle, so more traffic to sell.

Sprinks is shown on About.com so it's hard to know exactly how much traffic they really have. The problem with sprinks is the user interface is comparatively clumsy for bidding. This is a issue if you plan to bid on a lot of terms.

Goto+Kanoodle accept a spreadsheet (excel) of bids. Once you learn how to use it - this is the easiest way to bid on a lot of terms. I recommend you start with Goto - and then learn to use the spreadsheet. On

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the problem is that a lot of keywords applicable to my site are fairly expensive on Goto;

message board is $0.41
    free forums is $0.11
    discussion board $0.11
    chat $0.60

Is it important that you go for the number 1 slot or just the top 5 or 10?

Roughly how many keywords are you talking about?

Thanks for your help btw.
    Padraic Lavin

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Podge...

If you are making money from your web site then find out 'what is your maximum affordable cost per visitor?'.

Here's a simple formula...

# of unique visitors / net profit = max. affordable cost per visitor

Once you figure out what is your maximum affordable cost per visitor, it would be easier for you to bid on a keyword. For instance if the bid of the Top 10 is higher or equal to your calculated cost then it's only logical to bid on position that is below your cost.

Your other option is to check other relevant keyword or phrase as many as you could find them. I'm pretty sure regardless of your category that you could manage to place your site in the top at a minimal cost.
    The questions are tough. The answer is simple. Find someone who's done it. Learn from all his trials, tribulations and successes.
    -Web Development Tools-

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested them all and can tell you that
    Goto is the only one that works. They have enough traffic to give you some visitors.
    I had high expectations of Sprinks but bidding on almost the same keywords as Goto ( and even with better ranking ) I get almost NO traffic at all.

As EBookCompiler says BID ON A LOT OF KEYWORDS is important. Also remember to bid on mispelled keywords.

Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you know your average cost per visitor AND your average profit per visitor!! These are both essential numbers to know if you are going to effectively market your site and still make money.

If you try to register 100 keywords per day, in a few days you'll be getting traffic out the wazoo. Just make sure that you don't exceed your maximun bid amount and you'll continue to make money.

Ex: Let's say that your average visitor brings you 50 cents. So, for example, last month you had 1,000 visitors and made 500 dollars. You know that each average visitor is worth fifty cents to you. So determine how much you are willing to spend on promotion.

Let's say that you decide not to spend more than half of a visitors value to get them there. So, 25 cents is your maximum bid that you can never cross. Once you know that, no matter how you advertise, you will know you are making money as long as you don't spend more than 25 cents per visitor. You follow?

Does this mean that you just go and bid all of your search terms at GoTo for 25 cents? No!

Many of your keywords top position will only be at 10 cents or less. You will save a lot of money by doing a search on each term, and finding the best bid to place. Just don't be afraid to use up the 25 cents if you need to. It will take more time to use this approach, but it will be well worth it to your bottom line.

Now that you know your maximum cost per visitor, you can go crazy with e-zine ads, banner ads and everything else. As long as you don't cross your maximum cost per visitor, you are making money automatically.

Ok, my novel is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely go for goto.com
    and then if you have more, or want to try more, go for the others

You could only need to use goto and bid on a lot (LOTS) of key phrases/words.

I don't see other pay for performance SEs work as good as goto. For eg: rocketlinks, just so poor result!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree GOTO is among the best....

Also, 123 finder hit it on the head.. LOTS of keywords is the way to go.. If you do a REALLY thourough search for keywords you can find lots that are cheap..

Use the below tool at goto..

http://inventory.go2.com/inventory/S...ggestion.jhtml

It is excellent tool..

For example I typed in free forums which you stated was $.011 . It tyhen bought up all related searches and how many searches have been done in September.

You could go with "free web forums" at $0.03 with 167 searches in September... Thats just one example.. If you tyep in your other words I would bet you could find loads at 1 or 2 cents...

You have to put a $25 deposit down but thats l;asts for ages if all your visitors are no higher than 3 or 4 cents,,

hope this helps...

Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally signed up with goto a couple of days ago and have so far entered about 20 search phrases.

The hard part is thinking up phrases, but I'm getting there.

The secret is LOADS of relevant phrases. Think of it. If you stick to $0.01 per listing and cover every possible phrase, thats 2,500 targeted visitors for $25.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Padraic Lavin

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BrainFox.com: Bid as low as $0.001 / listing AND get a 500% bonus on your first deposit (I put in $20 and started w/ $120 balance).

They have relatively low traffic, but I'm in for long term traffic so I've bid on several hundred keywords here (all about about $0.005/listing for top 10 listings since I didn't only bid on major keywords).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Podge
    Part of the problem is that a lot of keywords applicable to my site are fairly expensive on Goto;

message board is $0.41
    free forums is $0.11
    discussion board $0.11
    chat $0.60

Try buying the same terms with "free" in front (I see you have "free forums".

A bid of 4 cents puts you at #5 for "free message board"

Just a sugesstion...

Kat
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more...

"chat for free" #1 position for .01

TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spend some time with the keyword suggestion tool!
    Use that and another keyword tool for another search engine and you will have thousands of words in no time!

Yesterday, in one hour I found and registered 270 keywords using this method. It works great.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.jimtools.com/keywords.html

JimTools Keyword Generator will look through search results in your chosen search engine and get relevant keywords from the top sites for the starting keywords.

This easily generates 50+ key phrases/keywords at a time in column format so that I can paste them into bulk submission sheets for different pay-per-listing engines.

>> Correction:

The results are in columnar unordered list format which leaves extra spaces if you pasted straight in. Forgot to mention that first I paste into notepad then into the spreadsheet to eliminate them.

[Edited by WebDevPortal on 10-22-2000 at 02:43 PM]