User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

background music question

my first post ^_^
    ok well im a complete newbie to php/mysql and im in need of help.
    ok my problem is i have a forum 'vbulletin 2.2.9' and its rpg based, so i want music to play on certain pages, but some members complaine about the music while others like it, so i want to create a radio button in the user edit options page that lets the user choose if he/she wants to hear the bgmusic.
    Ive tried and failed, so far ive seen one forum that has this http://forums.ffrepublic.com
    I tried to do the radio button myself but it doesnt save the users choice it always reverts to no, and im not sure if i need to edit any of my php files or my database.
    So i ask you kind people if you can help me

thanks in advance
    regards,
    - Ani-Max -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ani-Max
    my first post ^_^
    ok well im a complete newbie to php/mysql and im in need of help.
    ok my problem is i have a forum 'vbulletin 2.2.9' and its rpg based, so i want music to play on certain pages, but some members complaine about the music while others like it, so i want to create a radio button in the user edit options page that lets the user choose if he/she wants to hear the bgmusic.
    Ive tried and failed, so far ive seen one forum that has this http://forums.ffrepublic.com
    I tried to do the radio button myself but it doesnt save the users choice it always reverts to no, and im not sure if i need to edit any of my php files or my database.
    So i ask you kind people if you can help me

thanks in advance
    regards,
    - Ani-Max -
    Two ideas.
    1) Use a SESSION variable for their yes/no choice, and on every page you want music, check the value of the SESSION variable. If you want it to be a remembered choice (between visits), you'll need to use a cookie, or a setting for that user in a database.

2) Use a frame. Load the music selection in a small frame at the top or side and the forums (or other content) in the main frame. The Music frame only needs to take up about 20 pixels high or wide, and you can just make images that are links to a javascript function to toggle the music on or off. Again, you can use a database or cookie to save their setting between visits.