SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Redirect of SubDomain to a wholly other host

My knowledge and understanding of DNS is limited and spotty. So, perhaps what I am asking is merely impossible.

My client has existing shared hosting with several domain names. The one in question has some traffic already on the TLD.
    I built a Rails app on Heroku. The shared hosting does not support Ruby-on-Rails
    I need to redirect requests to a subdomain (in the client's shared hosting) to the Heroku app (something.herokuapp.com). Heroku's documentation indicates I cannot point to an IP address. It must be a CNAME record.

I am not really sure how/if/when/where this can be accomplished.

Thanks, in advance, for an advice and additionally for any edification on how this stuff with MX, A, CNAME stuff all interacts.
    Last edited by ParkinT; Mar 19, 2013 at 04:16.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    PT,

Maybe my knowledge of DNS is limited, too, but I do know that you can redirect subdomains (www et al, even mail - one of my clients uses a different mail server even though cPanel would have been) to another IP address. At that host, create your own CNAME record and you should be set.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not an issue at all.
    - Create new hosting account at Heroku with your desired subdomain, let's say hrk.yourdomain.com. Find out what IP is used for that account. You can check with Heroku to get that information.
    - In your main host (or where you host nameservers for your domain), create an A record for hrk, point it to the above IP. Just wait for your DNS updates, then you are done.
    Clustered CloudLinux Hosting | WordPress Hosting |
    Advanced Antispam | Managed Xen VPS
    in US West coast and Asia-Pacific datacenters
    Contact us now on Twitter @vietnap

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    It's not an issue at all.
    - Create new hosting account at Heroku with your desired subdomain, let's say hrk.yourdomain.com. Find out what IP is used for that account. You can check with Heroku to get that information.
    - In your main host (or where you host nameservers for your domain), create an A record for hrk, point it to the above IP. Just wait for your DNS updates, then you are done.
    Thanks for the response.
    Sadly, Heroku does not provide visibility into an IP address. Secondly, this particular host does not allow access to edit 'A' records.
    I am forced to map the subdomain to a directory, then place an 'index.html' file in that directory that contains the REDIRECT meta tag to the Heroku domain. YUCK!!!!
    But it works.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains