Thread: Hi Newbie here

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Newbie here

Hi
    I kee getting this error from my msdb, i am not to sure as to how to proceed any help welcome.

Code ASP:
    NSERT INTO UserT (FirstName,LastName, CompanyName, eMail, Phone,Mobile, Fax, Address1, Address2, Region, City, zipCode, countryID, promotionCode, LoginName, Password,userTitleID,Status,Owner,DateCreated,LastVisit) 
    VALUES('*******','','dereo@gmail.com','00442920689666','','','' ,'' ,'','','null',246 ,null ,'panoramanew','3D4F2BF07DC1BE38B20CD6E46949A1071F9D0E3D',1,0,2,getDate(),getDate())
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated. 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async) 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) 
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() 
    at MyFunc.Functions.ExecuteSQL(String str_sql) in c:\inetpub\vhosts\*******.co.uk\********\App_Code\Functions.cs:line 188
    DB ERROR occured
    Last edited by Mittineague; Mar 17, 2013 at 21:54. Reason: reformatting bbcode tags

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi moggy4, welcome to the forums,

My guess is the key portion of interest in that rather long message is
    "String or binary data would be truncated"

i.e. One (and maybe others?) of the VALUES you are trying to INSERT into a field is too long.

Check your SCHEMA against those values and you should hopefully be able to spot it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that .NET code rather than classic ASP?
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Afrika
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siteguru View Post
    Is that .NET code rather than classic ASP?

It definitely is .net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters you have 21 fields defined in insert statement but only 20 values provided.
    Right now you trying to insert email into company name and so on.
    As result your LoginName, Password, will be like that:
    3D4F2BF07DC1BE38B20CD6E46949A1071F9D0E3D',1,
    Very good password(1), LoginName is the field where binary data has been truncated.
    And second issue has been pointed earlier, either go to SQL forum or .NET forum...
    This forum is for Classic ASP issues.
    Cheers.