User Tag List

Thread: content advice

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

content advice

hey guys, i've created a few "gag-sites", to redirect people to, for various reasons, such as http://whiny.me/

what i'm NOT happy with, is the wording of the "self-help plan". i tried for sarcasm but i feel it's a little on the "dark" or "violent" side and needs to be changed.

i don't want it to be violent, but, i still want it to be whitty and sarcastic and clever - with a LITTLE bit of sting to it. does any one have any ideas as to how to pull it off? thanks.

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sentientsystem,

I think most of the points sound fine (as in not violent). You might want to re-word number two. That is the one that strikes me as a bit harsh. I’m assuming people will share this with people they like but that are being “whiny” for whatever reason. The idea of “self-help” is to empower a person to help themselves. That objective is defeated the minute you start telling them they are “worthless” and “burdensome” or unproductive.

Maybe this post can give you some more inspiration on how to tweak your other points,

http://www.lifeoptimizer.org/2010/03/10/empower-people/

Hope that helps you,

Shawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sentientsystem, why you want such website? how to use them?

SitePoint Enthusiast Pamela Alina's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentientsystem View Post
    ... such as http://whiny.me/
    You really great ! I like the BEFORE - AFTER images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the Introduction of your site

wish you more success with it

Best Regard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your website has uniqueness in its own way, i believed its fine if that's how you express who you are, i don't see anything wrong with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your content is targeted to mean point of your website that makes it more attractive, so keep it up.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I quite like the concept although i am edging toward the side of thinking it may offend someone. For me it is written in quite a direct way which could be taken the wrong way if someone just sent you the link.

From what you say it is meant to be more of a jokey kind of thing you'd send someone if they did something stupid, for me i'd want that to be slightly more funny in it's execution so it's obvious that it is meant to be lighthearted fun as opposed to just abusing someone.

For example if you wanted to tease a workmate for something small i would think it would be quite harsh to send them the link in the current form even though it is tongue in cheek (some people may not get it). Some tweaking to the content could make it more like 'Doh you are an idiot and join the ranks of xyz who did this ridiculous thing etc'

I'm just thinking long term that people may want to use this as funny tool but if it is too cutting people may not send it on as they might feel concerned it wouldn't be taken the right way and not email it.

Just want to check that you have permission to use the images as i've seen some of them used before and if it becomes successful you might get in trouble if you don't own the images (ignore if they are royalty free/paid for etc)

Also on the idiot page there is a mistake
    thank you for doing your part in the **** effport **** to make the internet a better place for the rest of us.

hope that is useful
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think any problem with your content, i like your website.