SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with color calibration

Can anybody suggest some good color calibration software and/or techniques? I tried the Adobe gamma software, but the instructions didn't make much sense to me. Is there a place that explains what to do a little better? TIA

Patrick Hunter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you having problems with and what brand monitor are you using? I run Adobe Gamma on about 15 computers and the only ones I have trouble with are the Dell monitors. I can get them close, but not quite right. All critical work is done on one of the Macs with 21" Viewsonic monitors. Give us a little more information!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdeaton
    What are you having problems with and what brand monitor are you using? I run Adobe Gamma on about 15 computers and the only ones I have trouble with are the Dell monitors. I can get them close, but not quite right. All critical work is done on one of the Macs with 21" Viewsonic monitors. Give us a little more information!
    I'm using a Dell 18 inch flat panel. My problem is that I don't know if I'm doing the calibration correctly or not. The instructions that come with the Adobe gamma software don't make much sense. Specifically, it is the gamma setting in setting the midtones. It says to adjust the slider until the center box fades into the patterned frame. ??? Maybe I'm just dense, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing at this step or what this correction is supposed to look like when it is correctly adjusted.

Patrick Hunter

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterp
    It says to adjust the slider until the center box fades into the patterned frame. ??? Maybe I'm just dense, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing at this step or what this correction is supposed to look like when it is correctly adjusted.
    what will it look like ? well, the center box will appear to fade into the patterned frame...which means you basically won't notice a difference in brightness/contrast between the center box and the surrounding patterned frame...and it will all look like one big seamless square. it helps if you squint just slightly when doing this...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com