User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duplicate content if someone stole my post

hello. I have blog since 5 months, is new, but all original content. A site bigger than mine with better PR and alexa rank took one of my post and reprint on their site with no permission. my question is if this will hurt my site? I was first so it should appear as first on me, yes? Even if there site is bigger?

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stas,

It isn’t so clear which content Google will favor. It would make sense in my mind that the content published online first should be the one that sticks or perhaps even the one indexed first. Believe it or not, it may not always be so easy to discern which came online first.

You may want to consider submitting a DMCA takedown to Google although I have heard varying responses to this route. There is some detailed information about that here,

http://productforums.google.com/foru...ng/MR91vH1nNnw

There is also some information in the comments for this blog post about how google deals with these situations,

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-quality.html

More on duplicate content in general,
    http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/duplicate-content

Hope that helps,

Shawn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, sites which post the content first is indexed by Google. I have often seen my content get indexed within 24 hours of posting.

Alexa rank is something which can be faked.

as far as page rank is concerned, it won't make much of a difference.

You should send a dmca takedown request to the website which stole your content.

You can use screenshots to show them the proof and highlight the dates the content was posted.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your help and links. Very informative.

I didn't know you can fake Alexa rank. how do you do that? I don't want to do it, i don't want to do illegal things with my blog, just i don't know how. by download the bar and go to site a lot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if someone stole my post, it won't heat your blog, because Google craws your content earlier then other's

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stas77 View Post
    hello. I have blog since 5 months, is new, but all original content. A site bigger than mine with better PR and alexa rank took one of my post and reprint on their site with no permission. my question is if this will hurt my site? I was first so it should appear as first on me, yes? Even if there site is bigger?
    Have you contacted the site's owner? Under no circumstances should be they allowed to steal your content like that. Tell them to either remove the content or pay up. If not, you can most definitely sue them in a small claims court.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contact them already to ask them to remove it. so far it is still up. I am in russia and I don't know where they are, so i don't think i can do court. But I was told to send a dcma notice so i am downloading one to send, i hope i don't need lawyer for that.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I contact them already to ask them to remove it. so far it is still up. I am in russia and I don't know where they are, so i don't think i can do court. But I was told to send a dcma notice so i am downloading one to send, i hope i don't need lawyer for that.

You don't need a lawyer to send a DMCA. If you have already told the website to remove your content and they haven't, the next step I would take is to contact their webhost. You can find the host by checking the "whois". Different hosts have different requirements so do take the time to look up and follow those requirements. Generally, when you contact a host about plagiarism they will take the site down until the offending content is removed.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know how to do whois. so if they are godaddy I email godaddy to say the site stole my content?

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know how to do whois. so if they are godaddy I email godaddy to say the site stole my content?
    No, first you check to see what GoDaddy's requirements are. Then you follow them to the letter.
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Think if somebody stole your blog content ,so its not possible if you firstly post your article so your article must ch-roll first. So don't worry about that your blog content is unique.
    and its your post.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarahambly View Post
    I Think if somebody stole your blog content ,so its not possible if you firstly post your article so your article must ch-roll first. So don't worry about that your blog content is unique.
    and its your post.
    Even so, plagiarism is both unethical and illegal. Every writer has the right to be compensated for his or her own work. Sites that steal content need to learn that lesson. Even if your content is not monetized, if another site is using it without written permission, they need to heed a cease and desist. If they don't they deserve to pay the consequences no matter what they are.

And quite frankly, those who support content theft are, in my opinion suspect of belonging to the copy/paste crowd of plagiarists and have probably never put in the required effort to write unique content.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Even so, plagiarism is both unethical and illegal. Every writer has the right to be compensated for his or her own work. Sites that steal content need to learn that lesson. Even if your content is not monetized, if another site is using it without written permission, they need to heed a cease and desist. If they don't they deserve to pay the consequences no matter what they are.

And quite frankly, those who support content theft are, in my opinion suspect of belonging to the copy/paste crowd of plagiarists and have probably never put in the required effort to write unique content.
    THank you, to you and everyone. I will definitely check to see how I cn stop by legal ways. My biggest concern was tht my content is not get indexed first and get pentalized.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, if you post your blog, then when anybody copies it, google will spam their content. So do not worry, your post is unique.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should submit a DMCA takedown to Google, i`m sure your original content was indexed first , so it shouldn`t be a problem. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast fastreplies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webcosmo View Post
    You should submit a DMCA takedown to Google, i`m sure your original content was indexed first , so it shouldn`t be a problem. Good luck!
    I wouldn't bother submitting DMCA cause G. knows where that content originally appeared

fastreplies
    There is good reason why pigs never judge kanolies competition
    AMRAY Free Web Directory | AMRAY Web Hosting - Since Year 2000
    Qoolest Directory of Directories

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think that it is true that who ever gets indexed first, that is king for that piece of content. However, if someone grabs your content off your site before Google lists in the index, that is an issue, as you would be deemed to be copying the content. You can simply search Google your title in quotes to see if it is indexed. We always check our content as it usually gets indexed the same day or next.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THanks. And how do you know if yours was indexed first? it won't necessary appear on first page results.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Thanks. And how do you know if yours was indexed first? it won't necessary appear on first page results.
    If your site was not crawled and indexed first, your subsequent site crawl "Last-Modified:" filetime() should be compared to the first indexed article and hopefully your article should be bumped to the top of the index.
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    If your site was not crawled and indexed first, your subsequent site crawl "Last-Modified:" filetime() should be compared to the first indexed article and hopefully your article should be bumped to the top of the index.
    OK than you. I learn a lot here, I thank you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nila11 View Post
    Hi stas77, in my opinion, if your website contents are unique so your website will be ranked accordingly to requirements of the users. So therefore. Keep you website update with unique contents....don't bother to stick this sort of worries.
    Hi Nila . I keep update with new content, its just frustrate to see other people steal my posts because i work hard andmy blog has little traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the site has linked back to the original content of yours its fine. You will get lot of referral traffic and page rank benefits. If the site projects as if its the content written by them without any link back to you, then you can always report to Google or else contact the webmaster of the site and try to ask him for the link back to the original source of yours. It will never be a duplicate or near duplicate content until the whole content or most part of the content is copied as it is without any change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rankwatch1 View Post
    As long as the site has linked back to the original content of yours its fine. You will get lot of referral traffic and page rank benefits. If the site projects as if its the content written by them without any link back to you, then you can always report to Google or else contact the webmaster of the site and try to ask him for the link back to the original source of yours. It will never be a duplicate or near duplicate content until the whole content or most part of the content is copied as it is without any change.
    Agreed, you want that link!
    I'd also outreach to the site and enquire about becoming a writer for them, either for more links to your website or as a paid contributor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with the statement that you don't need to be concerned because Google knows that you posted the material first. There are several problems with that logic.

First, people can argue whether there is a "duplicate content penalty" or not but it is clear that Google indexes duplicate content all the time. Look for any story that appears on Associated Press or any major news wire service. The same article can show up in the Google search results dozens, if not hundreds, of times.

Second, it is said that on Google News they try to list the original publisher of syndicated material first but I have read many articles where it was clear that I was reading a story that had been created by another news source, so Google is certainly not perfect on that score. In the general search (non-News) results, Google has never said that it will rank the original source higher. Being the original source of the material may be a factor in the algorithm but there is no guarantee that it will move your page ahead of the copy. If the New York Times republishes something from a small blog, I would not be surprised to see the Times article higher in the results. I have even seen articles I have published in major article directories be outranked by copies of the article republished on a site that clearly is not necessarily a more "trusted" site.

If someone steals your material, send the DMCA notice. Don't take a chance that the duplicate copy won't hurt you.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMCA takedown is an effective option and it might work for you too. But internet sphere is so vast that sooner or later someone else will copy your other piece of content. If you post it first, it will be crawled first and its value will be no lesser then the one who copied it from you. So my suggestion would be that you keep brainstorming and innovating new content.
    <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 26, 2013 at 03:52. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature