SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Need help with DHTML / javascript project !

Hello all.

I'm having an idea for the construction of my website's main page and I would really need some help in choosing the right javascript / DHTML scripts and whatever else I might need.

The script I'm looking for should work like this :

The page will have an image in the middle and some links surounding it.

At first when you visit the page, a default image will show up.

Then for each individual link you - when you put the mouse over the link and BEFORE clicking it - the image will change to a different image which will correspond the content of the specific link.

So let's say I have 2 links :

1) Interviews. When you put the cursor on this link... an image with info on the latest interview will show up in the middle box.

2) Events. An image with a reference to the latest events will show up in the place where the previous image was.

I do need a script that will run fine in IE, Mozzila and Opera.

Could anyone give me some hints?

Cause I do not know what keywords I could put in search engines to find such scripts

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanx in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are looking for is called an Image Rollover. You hover above the image with your mouse, and the image changes, you point somewhere else and the original image state is restored. The image can, but must not be a link itself.

You can find such Image Rollovers if you look here http://www.sitepoint.com/article/625/5 or you can have a look over at www.dhtmlcentral.com . If you type in the keywords 'javascript image rollover' you will also be able to find numerous links to JavaScript resource sites that have all sorts of gadgets and effects (just remember to use them sparingly ;-)

I would have posted a _very_ widespread script used by Macromedia's Dreamweaver which I do not use personally, but I know many designers do and it works for many browsers - as I said, I would have, but I am not sure about the copyright of those scripts or whether SitePoint would mind that.

Hope the few links could help... good luck and happy building,
    Karl

I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets. - George Carlin

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for the reply .

That 2nd link does not seem to work.

You hover above the image with your mouse, and the image changes, you point somewhere else and the original image state is restored
    Actually what I need is the image to change when I hover above a link on this page, and not above that image.
    The image will not be a link, and will not be changing when someone hovers above it.

thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stark427
    That 2nd link does not seem to work.
    Just double checked now and the link works fine :-P

Either way, in the sitepoint article as well as on DHTMLCENTRAL you should be able to find all info, even done code, for what you are trying to achive even if another link is the trigger for the rollover effect.

Good luck mate,
    Karl

I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets. - George Carlin