SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has come up before, but I really haven't been able to find too much useful information on it. I just started up another site, and am currently trying to launch it. As it has always been, one of the major factors behind getting a lot of hits is getting on Yahoo. But what way has everyone found to be the easiest? Is it better to submit it 5 times a day or every other day? Or some variation in between? I've gotten on before, but it's taken months... and I'm not sure if I really needed to wait that long.
    Also, did anyone else notice the new business submission service they're offering? For $200, your company gets priority and, if the site is decent, a listing? Does this really work? Is it worth recommending to clients? Thanks for any replies.

Greg Sarnowski
    http://www.landofjokes.com

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it does get you up their more often.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo rejected both WebmasterBase and PromotionBase due to a lack of content. We're still waiting for a review of eCommerceBase...

Obviously we're appealing these decisions. The thought that a successful, profitable media property employing several people full-time and "lacks sufficient content" is a joke to say the least.

There's a very interesting article on PromotionBase.com about getting listed in Yahoo the "old fashioned" way.

[Edited by Matt Mickiewicz on 10-05-2000 at 07:52 PM]
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the old fashioned way?
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not paying $199 for Business Express.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >The thought that a successful, profitable media property employing several people full-time and "lacks sufficient content" is a joke to say the least.

Agree. Still we webmasters are so dependent of them

I'm in Yahoo but was banned by Altavista when they made their big changes in the beginning of the year. Yes, I have used my share of doorways etc before in my early web days - but NEVER for this particular domain, heck I try to make a living on it.
    I have emailed them to ask what the problem is, no answer for six months until recently when they in nice words told me like RTFM and poiting me to a document on their server...

Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you mean doorway doesn't work anymore?
    I've never tried to use that before, but I think I understand the fundamental algorithm for doing that.

Any body using doorway and find it worked??? I guess yes!?
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submitted to Yahoo Canada and got into Yahoo within a week, it really sped up the process!

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    123finder:
    >Any body using doorway and find it worked??? I guess yes!?
    Yes, depends on who you ask. Also depends on which search engine we are talking about. I have had great success for some doorways with Google but when Altavista changed their spam definition earlier this year ( read from http://doc.altavista.com/adv_search/ast_i_index.shtml and on ) it made lot of webmasters unhappy.

Generally it is a good thing - spam fighting I mean, however the line between spam and a highly optimized page is very very thin.

And in my case I didn't use any doorways at all, according to Altavista:s manual things like incorrect ( or repeating ) metatags could get you blocked.

However I sometimes find obvious doorways in the Altavista index - so what I mean is I am totally out of ideas...
    Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion going on here...from Yahoo submission process to...Doorway to...AltaVista to...Spam...

Yahoo Submission Process (not Google a.k.a. Yahoo web pages)
    a. Read their guidelines
    b. Root domain only
    c. Business Address should be clearly identified with Tel. number (not just email).
    d. $199.00 will have your site reviewed within 48 hrs - no guarantee of listing (see a,b,c)
    e. Opt for non-paying submission? Who knows when your site is going to get reviewed.

Tip:
    Study the keywords/phrase for your site.
    Then submit it to Google instead.
    Some keywords/phrase would only show a little listing
    in the actual Yahoo Site which would entice
    visitors to click on Yahoo Web Pages which is
    actually a Google listing.

Doorway Pages and AltaVista and Spamming.
    They still work with AltaVista. You just have to make your doorway pages AltaVista friendly. I have a page, a stand alone page, no link from the home page, 0 popularity and still managed to rank it #15 in AV out of over 1200 sites. In fact I have several 'doorway pages' listed at AV on the Top 30 of their respective keyword/phrase. Take your time in studying AV, it's worth it. Or would you rather get ban?

The questions are tough. The answer is simple. Find someone who's done it. Learn from all his trials, tribulations and successes.
    -Web Development Tools-

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is it better to submit only once to Yahoo or a bunch of times?
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 4thandLong
    So is it better to submit only once to Yahoo or a bunch of times?
    I would say ONCE... but only submit it once your site is fully developed and not "under construction". Yahoo! won't list sites like that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are asking about Yahoo Web Site then submit only once and only root domain. If you have submitted already and it's been over 2 months and you have followed to the letter their guidelines, contact Yahoo, they will let you know what's going on.

If you are asking about Yahoo Web Pages a.k.a Google.com then according to them, you can only submit your root domain once and they will spider your entire site. Tip: Google.com is the most lenient of all the search engines, they are fun to experiment with.
    The questions are tough. The answer is simple. Find someone who's done it. Learn from all his trials, tribulations and successes.
    -Web Development Tools-

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submit a couple sites a day to Yahoo. Each one is different and each belongs in a different category.

Since may I've had one listing come through. This one listing which all in all is 1/35th of my entire site and getting smaller every day generates 4-500 impressions a day.

If only all my sites were listed....

The one listing I had come through was a mistake, I submitted it to the wrong category (it was still applicable, just not the best fit) and that kind editor sent it to the right category and it was promptly added.

I really hate yahoo, but they can generate so much traffic, so can DMOZ.org because of AOL.

Thats why I recently became a DMOZ editor, eventually I'll edit a category general enough to add all my own sites the day they are released. I don't plan on giving them rave reviews, I remain objective in that, but the ability to ensure prompt listings and to ensure all my sights are listed is my goal.

Then if I can make enough money I'll start paying Yahoo.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I was added to the Yahoo! database easily.

This is for my old site mind you, for my basketball team. All I did is submit it. And presto! I get an email two weeks later saying I was in.

It's really not that hard...
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    Well I was added to the Yahoo! database easily.

This is for my old site mind you, for my basketball team. All I did is submit it. And presto! I get an email two weeks later saying I was in.

It's really not that hard...
    For some, it's not hard, but I know people who have tried for years and still can't get in. Personally, my site is in, and when you're in, it's pretty nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the time, it's as easy as following the rules with Yahoo. Web42Net's list of "don't miss" criteria is absolutely on point - lack of a posted phone number keeps my new site out of Yahoo. Even though I'm not selling anything or running any banner ads, they consider it a business.

I'm pretty sure having a dot-com instead of a dot-net or dot-org means something to some of their editors, as a lot of folks have suggested. However, I suspect that it makes you a "commercial site" with higher standards of inclusion. The fact that weatherdesk.org made it in within 2 days was impressive, I know a couple guys running a weather portal who would be surprised to hear that - so far, they haven't even been visited after 3 months.

The #1 rule with Yahoo is to follow the rules. Submit too often, or mail to 'urlsupport@yahoo.com' before you've submitted the old fashioned way, and you may find that they never get around to listing you. It's amazing that the Sitepoint community sites are described as "lacking content" - these are some of the most informative sites on the 'net.

Dan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my other site listed in Yahoo! and with the creation of my newest site, http://www.allps2.net I chose to take the Business Express route.

And it is obvious to say, I am sad to see Sitepoint not make it this way, because that limits my chances greatly. What I'm wondering is, has anyone actually gotten through using the Business Express? If so, please do me a favour, and post here.

- HZ