SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just as a matter of interest..

are there any other users still getting by with Flash 5? Do you think you are really missing out if you don't have MX? I like the Flash/php/mysql combination, and F5 seems to be able to handle them well enough...

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It handles them, but is pretty shaddy with its actionscript implementation. The fact that you must use an onClipEvent(data) handler on a mc to detect for loaded variables kills it for me. Sorry but Flash 5 was the last of the designer only implementations to flash, in my opinion. I mean MX is worlds above 5 as far as actionscripting, xml and load variables. The old way was like I mentioned before with the onClipEvent the new way

Code:
    myVars = new LoadVars();
    myVars.load("foo.php");
    myVars.onLoad = function() {
      //access vars here
      trace (this.varname);
    }
    Where varname was a variables passed from php. So much better, again in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, it's not really the difference between Flash 5 and MX here, rather the Players involved.

You can write some FP6 actionscript in Flash 5 but not all the good stuff like LoadVars. LoadVars is a lot better than loadVariables as only required variables are sent to the script, not the entire timeline.
    You can use clip.loadMovie("image.jpg") in Flash 5 but it will only work with FP6.

Publishing to Flash Player 6 also allows some nifty features like masking of device fonts, transparent windows for plugin based browsers like Mozilla and Opera and more. See the Flash Player 6 release notes at MM for the full list - some big improvements.

If you are doing a piece for the general public stick to Flash Player for the time being, it's usually us web developers who are the first users of a new FP6, although MM says the usage rate is about 80% now.

HTH
    James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webQS
    Hi, it's not really the difference between Flash 5 and MX here, rather the Players involved.

You can write some FP6 actionscript in Flash 5 but not all the good stuff like LoadVars. LoadVars is a lot better than loadVariables as only required variables are sent to the script, not the entire timeline.
    You can use clip.loadMovie("image.jpg") in Flash 5 but it will only work with FP6.

HTH
    James
    Hi
    I'm a bit confused here.. Like I say, I have the F5 authoring programme. I also downloaded the new Flashplayer 6, so that I could view content created with the F6 programme. Are you saying that if I code some actionscript 6 in my F5 programme, it could play in my Flash 6 player? But surely Flash 5 can only export actionscript 5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep that's right some but not all - Flash 5 won't export a lot of FP6 actionscript and object introduced with FP6 but any Flash 5 AS that has some improvements to it can be coded, though.

Take this piece of Flash 5 actionscript : loadMovie("movie.swf");
    This will also be exported by Flash 5 but only run in FP6 : loadMovie("image.jpg");
    I guess Flash 5 doesn't check what's actually to be loaded here when it parses the filename before output... :> I used this while I had MX on order.

Of course those new FP 6 objects like loading videos and loadSound and LoadVars won't pass muster in Flash 5 and will probably cause it all to fall over. So if you want to code Flash 6 AS smoothly, use MX.

HTH
    James