SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS & Dreamweaver

Hi, I have Dreamweaver MX and I was talking with a friend about some CSS stuff the other day.

When he uses his Dreamweaver 4, and goes to the CSS windows, and does new style, and selects "Use CSS Selector" he gets a whole list of nearly every CSS style there is.

However, in my Dreamweaver, I only get 4. a:link, a:hover, a:visited, and a:active.

Is there something I need to enable/download?

Thanks
    - John
    IT Security & Networks, .NET & PHP Developer
    Business Horizons | MD Review | RNRexpo
    Personal sites: Ferrari Wallpaper | Car Wallpaper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you need to read your manual and probably try a tutorial or 2. I started out using DW for CSS, but currently use Topstyle. Google it and download a trial and try it out. Works nicely!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    When he uses his Dreamweaver 4, and goes to the CSS windows, and does new style, and selects "Use CSS Selector" he gets a whole list of nearly every CSS style there is.
    I bet he doesn't. There are only the 4 that you mentioned because that's basically all the pseudo classes there are. He's probably confusing it with redefine html tag option which has a great big list of tags to redefine.

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh no, he does. its the CSS Selector option that he mentions. There are 3 options
    1. define a class
    2. redefine html
    3. css selector, which is a combo box. so you can either select one of the 4 drop downs or type in #header p which will define paragraph style for id header.
    Ranjan
    Macromedia Certified Dreamweaver MX Professional

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranjan
    oh no, he does. its the CSS Selector option that he mentions. There are 3 options
    1. define a class
    2. redefine html
    3. css selector, which is a combo box. so you can either select one of the 4 drop downs or type in #header p which will define paragraph style for id header.
    I think you are getting a bit confused. On a blank document the CSS Selector will only show the 4 pseudo classes: a:link a:visited a:hover a:active.

If you then go on to add id's (#mystyle) or a combination of tags (see below) then these will also get listed in the combo box but are not there by default. (e.g. If you look at a fully styled document then the chances are that some extra styles will be listed in the CSS selector combo box but they are not there by default, they are styles that the user has designed for that document only.)

(I hope I'm making myself clear!)

Below are the instructions from the DW help screen.

CSS selector styles redefine the formatting for a particular combination of tags (for example, td h2 applies whenever an h2 header appears inside a table cell) or for all tags that contain a specific id attribute (for example, #myStyle applies to all tags that contain the attribute-value pair ID="myStyle").

So as you see there is nothing wrong with your version of DW (as far as I can see).

Hope this helps.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lemme see if I can rephrase what Paul said a bit..

He's right, on a blank document, the selector will show just the 4 pseudo classes. On an existing page layout the selector will show the 4 pseudo classes AND any other previously designated selectors, the trick is, you've got to select your CSS window first before hitting the "new CSS Style" button.

In other words, if I'm working on a page that has defined
    • #content
    • div#content p
    • #footer
    • #header
    in a linked style sheet, and I hit the "new CSS Style" button while the design view, or code view is selected, all I'll get is the 4 psuedo classes in that pulldown menu ... however, if I first select the sytlesheet (in the Design Panel Group) THEN hit the "new CSS Style" button, I'll get the 4 pseudo classes plus the previously designated #content through #header mentioned above.

Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suggest TopStyle Lite. As a DW user I can vouch for its lack of good CSS support. TS Lite is free and does just about anything you'd need, CSS-wise.
    http://www.bradsoft.com is where you can find it.