User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text block regular expressions

Everyones favourite subject is back!

I have this regular expressions which is for text boxes in an article system so the user cvan align text (it will probably become [align] tags instead of text but for now that is irrelevant!

$text = preg_replace("/\[text=([^\]]+)\]([^\]]+)\[\/text\]/ie","fwtext('$1','$2')",$text);

Which works with the [text=right]text here[/text] I need the text and the alignment property out of it.

Basically it only works if there are no other tags in it i.e. [img=1] because of I believe ([^\]]+) that bit where it says from what I have gathered from other topics here get everything upto the next ] how do I say get everything between the text and text tags? I want all characters except obviously the end tag [/text].

So what I am trying to allow is [text]dfaghgfh[img=1]estr{quote}gdfhgfd{/quote}dfghgfhgf[/text]
    Therefore taking ALL the content from between the text tags, and it will format the rest further down the function! (Quote was adapted to stop the PHPBB codes).

I realise that if some idiot embeds a text within a text it will grab the first end text tag but this will be a project further down the align and in this case it would be bad formating anyway!

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by SiCo; Mar 14, 2003 at 05:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lack the regex expertise to answer your question completely, but I can set you on the right track. The behavior you are looking for is called "non-greedy"; this should fuel a Google search for you .

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks however I am not sure it is the greedy / un-greedy property is it? I don't see why it would be because it is still stopping at all occurances of ] which is not part of the end text tag so it isn't converting anything.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you had the pattern better with .+? in the other thread.

but the . metacharacter in preg doesn't match newlines by default. you need to use the s modifier:

$text = preg_replace('#\[text=(.+?)](.+?)\[/text]#eis', "fwtext('$1','$2')", $text);

hope that helps.
    Last edited by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR; Mar 15, 2003 at 21:17.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that works, I wonder if you can tell me the difference between:
    (.*?)
    (.+?)

I have been fiddling, mainly messing things up with taking apart some other regular expressions to see if I could get what I wanted and these two appear to do the same?! I thought the * and + were different.

Sorry abotut he two threads one started off with something else, and on here before someone requested a thread per different question, running forums myself I know how annoying it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * = 0 or more.
    + = 1 or more
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arh now it makes all the sense in the world cheers.