SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can GD with Php Create Bevel/Shadow/Glow Text?

Hello. Just wondering if we can do this to text using php + gd

I know it might with Imagemagick, but that does me no good. And I checked the manual. I don't see anything official on this

Is it possible? With proven results?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I at least post this in the advanced forum or is that not allowed to have 2 forums with one topic?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glow text would require a bit of programming - wouldn't be tricky as long as the text was a base colour that did not occur within the background image.

I've already designed a manipulation class that does bevel, drop-shadow, motion-blur, ellipse, frame, overlay/merge and some others.

For non commercial - non profit use, you can pick it up at http://www.teckis.com/compiled_files/img_create.php

Ooops, didn't fully read your question.
    Doing that to just text would either mean writing the string multiple times in colours logically deduced through math - or running a pixel by pixel image scan that picks the text colour out and then transforms adjacent pixels to give the desired effect.
    Personally, for text (which I doubt is ever really really needed dynamically - plus it is too darn resource hungry to warrant doing that way imo) I'd use an image editor.
    Last edited by pootergeist; Mar 14, 2003 at 04:09.
    teckis - that's news to me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I can use an editor, but the objective is to build a web based
    image creator that can do it

However, can you show this knucklehead how to use that class to bevel or emboss? Your class seems impressive to say the least.

Thanks for your time

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's for IE why not use it from the client side ? CSS and Filters would do the most of what you ask I think ?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I don't advise ever creating a text written image is the server overheads.
    If you own your server (colocated or dedicated) then you can make the decision to allow processes that are forced to read 100KB+ files (350KB+ for fonts like tnr) as you can probably just fork out for another few Gig of ddr. If you are on shared hosting (assuming your site gets hits) you could easily cripple the server and be denied service.

For text transformations, I'd need to run up some new algorythms, which (as I already consider the code to be dubious) I'd be asking money for. Hey - if you can afford a dedicated/colocated server, you can probably afford to pay a coder.

On a subnote: If you own the server, you might want to look at running GIMP and doing all the coding as script-fu (the results would be a lot more impressive)
    teckis - that's news to me.