IE Taking Forever
Suspect this question should be asked elsewhere but since it pertains to my site let me try... Suddenly when I work on changes to my site, and then go to IE to look at them, it takes forever for the page to open? Just started do this last two days? Can anyone offer a clue? I have set Active X to run, I have checked for Malware, I have run scans and cannot find a reason for this.
The page or link loads fine when it's uploaded, but when I want to check my work via internet explorer (prior to uploading) it takes so much longer. I know I often ask stupid question, and I somehow feel this problem is due to my computer. I will keep at it and see what I can find. What baffles me is that it just started....?
I assume you're referring to "stout standards"? If so, this isn't that surprising with the massive advert image, MULTIPLE tracking packages for nothing, and the host you're on auto-appending their own garbage to your page.
The last of those probably being the biggest issue. Certainly the massive images aren't helping matters though...
You've got all sorts of other issues though like the broken/useless cascading menu (that's too big vertically for netbooks, breaks due to fixed heights on large font systems, etc), static CSS inlined in the markup (meaning sub-pages aren't leveraging the caching models), suckerfish statically inlined -- which that could cause load delays too as it parses through EVERY LI on the page -- again that's just too many menu items for one page!
Oh yeah, script hang (just tested it in IE6) -- suckerfish is cute for ten to twenty LI nests; it's a buggy slow disaster when you have sixty of them. Sixty or so pages direct linked on your menu usually means it's time to break that into categories and use normal navigation, as NOBODY is going to waste time trying to go through that menu to find everything...
... especially when half the menu is off the bottom of the screen and impossible to navigate to on small screens, and you can't even read a few of the menus from text-overlap at large fonts...
Between single images larger than I'd allow on a page for HTML+CSS+SCRIPTS+ALL theme images, suckerfish, tracking scripts for nothing and the bloat your host seems to add... Yeah, you've got problems.
Thanks, sorry to have bothered you...
I know deathshadow comes on strong, but if you follow this through with him, he will help you make your site a lot better, so I encourage you to bear with him! He is actually very friendly and helpful behind that exterior, and if you ask for clarifications / how-tos on anything you don't understand, a lot of help is available. Don't be shy! :)
Originally Posted by Barnum