Design Feedback wanted
my site design is still not finished, but I'd like some feedback please. I can't decide where to put the static content links on the page and I'd just like some opinions before I carry on.
The link to my site is here and please be as brutal as possible
Well I dont see something really extra impressive. Not so well design logo ... just some black text with some red addings ) ... and I think there are lots of improvements to make in the future!
I like your no-nonsense approach. I'd increase the font size for body copy a bit, however.
Also, the HTML markup could be reduced. It's such a simplistic site and deserves lean and clean markup.
Other than that, I like it and find it refreshing.
1) In a first look, it seems like the whole page is filled with white space rather than contents. So you should really focus on managing the contents, compacting un-necessary spaces or white space.
2) Block above the right picture labeled as "Don't miss out on these free updates!" seems like a link but in real it is not. So what is the propose of using anchor like styling.
You can make it more user attractive by adding a good theme and add a background color. Try to add flash on the homepage. All the best.
Static menu will be better below the logo. That would be nice approach.
I like the site. I like it because your are doing it simple with a funny pic. But, as the the young lady wrote, try to add flash on the homepage.
The design is simple which is nice and overall it gets the point across with that funny image. Nice job :)
I've been a big fan of minimalistic, clean web design like this for years. So few seem to appreciate the impact of having less, well-placed content.
That said, when you go with this approach, you need to have a font that can stand on it's own. Not necessarily something serif, but something a little less generic would be good. I think you nailed the font size, however.
If you choose not to change your font, I think you need to cut down on the whitespace a little bit. Your blurb on 'how to become a good manager' could stand to be push up a touch (eg. content below the line should be as far from the line as the content above the line).
Finally, when it comes to whitespace, try to use multiples of the same base factor to space things (eg. 7px, 14px, 21px, etc... or 8px, 16px,...), where the base factor is the same size as one of your fonts.
Overall, though, I love seeing this kind of design that is not afraid to keep things uncluttered and focussed.
Above the fold
I like the design overall. I think it is a little too generic, but that comes with time. My review:
- very simple and clean looking
- The info in the footer is good
- The red words really make those words stand out in a good way
- You want your best stuff to be "above the fold" or at the top of the page for visitors to see. By putting a call to action at the top, personally it looks a little spammy. Why should I sign up for your tips? How do I know you are competent at management? Get people to trust you and consider you a resource before trying to get them to sign up for anything
- I think your blog post font is too small. I am working on a laptop with a 15" screen and it looks like about a 10pt font. Try increasing the font size to make it just a little easier to read. If you are not sure, you may try a split-test
- The layout in your Books link needs help. It is not consistent. The first image is on the right, next on the left, then the right again. That may be ok if you had more text, but the second book, Getting Things Done (a great book) has the image below the text. Try to put the image at the beginning of the review and float it to the left so the text will flow around it making it look a little more natural
- Increase font size for blog posts (or at least, experiment with a larger size and view your blog on different computers and browsers)
- Move your call to action to the bottom of the page, putting your content first
- Try putting all the images on your Books page either on the left or the right (I personally think the left would be better in your case)
Hope that helps. Thanks
It's a little bland but I think it does feel nice. I'd get someone to review the content on the pages however, I noticed some minor mistakes in there :).
I'd spice up the logo at least, perhaps make the menu at the top more noticeable, took me a second to find where it was (especially since it's not in a ...normal place)
Overall, good job with the site :). You KISS'd good.
I like it, although the typography could use a bit of tweaking. The 'Get Updates' form is hugging the text above it a little to tight considering the spacial, minimal nature of the design. Another issue I have is the read more link is closer to the next headline than it is the body text, which seems backward.
I loved the multi-column archive on the blog page, very simple effect but it's just perfect!
Finally I believe the footer is a bit wasted, good info but presented hastily without much care.
My first thought was that it could use more color. You might want to pair and image with your logo as it will make your site more memorable and create more of a theme. There is a bit too much white space at the top - that is your prime real estate, don't waste it. Your nav links are nice and clean, good job.
Nice website, I would change some things. The big thing is tweaking your current word logo, with some type of similar picture logo, that matches.
1) Add a favicon which is the top small icon "replace your hosting companys logo aka blue host"
2) Figure out another logo with a symbol? This can be your favicon once you attach a image.
3) To make favicon you can type in google, favicon generator and it`ll automatically do this for you.
Why adding a favicon? It helps to see visitors you are not new, and know what your doing.
It's very practical, I'm not sure if its the design you were going for but its very straight forward. Being as the site is about "Management Tips" I do appreciate the simplicity of the site. You have lots of white space and the odd picture here and there to keep it that way. Once you have more content I think your site would be a good resource, Good luck!
i love your site. its has simplicity and funny angel . great work..
Originally Posted by m3ckon
To start with the design is Simple and Clean..But as many members here have commented...there is too much white on your site...work on some content there...Like some Twiter tweets etc..by the look of it the site looks new..so obviously you are going to add some more content...also work on the Logo as still many have suggested...Best of luck..
Originally Posted by m3ckon
I think your website is good but you should change your logo to make it more impressive.
All over your site is simple and elegant and quite interesting,..but to make it more enhance and impressive you can add some images,video to it of manager tips..
you may work on the logo designs..so that your site become more popular...
Usually I like simple clean layouts but this is a bit extreme.
You need to get more detail above the fold to keep people from clicking away, maybe something controversial (instead of asking 'Do you know how to become a good manager?' ask 'Why do your staff think you're an idiot?') and get them involved early.
You have an image of a blackboard with 'new manager tips guide' on it - I clicked on this expecting it to link to another page, is that something you plan to add later?
The design is simple, yet appealing. I would recommend getting some sharing tools like AddThis. Maybe add some color to the website to add more flavor. Overall, great idea!
The url is kinda long to type
Management tips starts with lowercase m.. my OCD senses are tingling.
line below title closer to the title => the header takes too much space.
blue on pink balloon box with white shaded font seems off.. I would keep the same color scheme black/red/white.
Get updates textbox + button too big + too close to text above
2 lines at the bottom, one would be better.
I like the lean look, but you need to make it more suave and sophisticated. Design is text-focused, so you should webfonts. If I were you, I'd work a bit more on that button and the text box.
Your website looks more like a blog. Make sure that you distinguish your blog from the site. Otherwise, it will be redundant. You need to design it in such a way that your target audience will find a lot in the home page. The site looks bare also. It would be better if you add some graphics.
the design is very simple, you could say its to simple... you used 3 different types of fonts. You also could use an border around you picture on the indexpage. Use an eyecatching elements beside the picture and link with buttons to what you want to express or offer.