Well since I had some time today, I decided to build a lightweight search engine. The site uses the DMOZ directory as its basis. Including the 3 graphics the entire site is 51K in size and consists of 7 files.
Let me know what you think. I plan on using this as part of a string of community building projects that eventually will be interconnected.
Webography is located at: www.digitalmagician.com\projects\webography\default.asp
Internet Media Provider
~~~ This site has been approved ~~~
Eric Jones - WR Administrator
ICQ 1215804 (mention WR)
The biggest thing I noticed was more of an annoyance than a problem. The page transition can get distracting after a while, and there is (at least from my browser), a flash of black after the initial effect before it displays the new page.
The second thing I noticed is also more of a nitpicky thing rather than a problem. Temis comments got my attention and I went into the world pages and clicked a couple different languages. The thing that bothered me was it seemed like the whole page (at least all the text) should have been converted into the corresponding language. What I mean was when you go to the Russian page, I would expect to see "You are here: WORLD: Russian" and the search radio button options to also be in russian. I realize that's probably too much work for that little bit of text, but it does seem incomplete (or at least inconsistent).
On a good note, your site has to be the first one with a fixed background image that I haven't griped about. They usually get in the way of presenting the information, but I was glad to see yours was out of the way. It didn't take away from the site, which is a big plus in my book and very rare.
Thanks. I am going to redo the top logo and slogan so I can include features to add sites, edit sites and a couple of other things.
Working on the alignment problems as well.
Will look into the translation. The page content comes from the Open Directory so its translated and my wrappers aren't. Anyone know of a good decent translator?
Character Sets should change dynamically now. That is Chinese shows in Chinese and Russian in Cyrillac.
Also removed the transition effect. Didn't think it would be that annoying.
Internet Media Provider
[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 14, 2000).]
Very nice site I have a few little suggestions:
1) The page transition efeect gets very annoying expecially when people are in a hurry to get the results from the searches.
2) Maybee bring a little more colour into the page. This is only my opinion but I find it quite dull.
Other than that a good site.
I actually like those colors. Two things I can complain about (being picky, whats new http://www.webmaster-resources.com/forums/smile.gif ):
1. When I go into sub-categories, I don't like the fact that list of categories shifts over to the left instead of staying in the middle of the page. (Just my first impression, after a second look at the page I got used to it)
2. In the logo the small print doesnt look good with the shadow, and I would use a different font for it. I like whe webography font though.
another thing, maybe not that important...
on world:russian page is very nice that its all in russian. But I think the standard for russian web pages today is win1251 encoding. At least thats what most pages in RUnet (.ru domains) use. I might be wrong...
And for some reason the browser doesnt want to remember encoding type when I go to the next page, so I have to manually change it.
[This message has been edited by temis (edited April 14, 2000).]