August 2011 Member of the Month
Today is a glorious day. We have another great member that will join our hall of fame because he asked the right questions at the right time, he was helpful and respectful and he proved that he could keep his head cold whenever there was a war between PHP lovers and .NET developers.
Because he worths it he will buy a bunch of L'Oreal hair care products
Because he just does it, he can only use Nike' shoes.
Because some things are priceless, he will surely use mastercard for all the rest...
Because he's smart he knows that he will not be getting all this stuff from us and that he has to buy it himself.
And fortunately for him, he doesn't do any kind of advertising like I'm doing or he would have been banned long time ago...
Please, congratulate to ImagineKitty, our Member of the Month for August 2011
And now, what you've been waiting for... the interview
1) First things first... how did you get to know SitePoint Forums and what made you stay?
Well, to start off, I'm merely a lawn care service provider in my home town. Programming was just a hobby until I was cajoled into quitting my decent paying job to take a position as programmer for a local company (now defunct). I was hired because I knew classic ASP and I was to update some proprietary contact management software. I was happy to do it until I found out about Visual Studio, .NET and C#. I was smitten and I talked the guy running the show into switching to ASP.NET. To get myself familiar with the way things work in ASP.NET I created a CMS with much help from the .NET forum at Sitepoint.com, how could I not stay? :)
Anyway, that all worked out well for about 1.5 years and then the paychecks stopped coming so I'm back to lawn care but working for myself. I still sell a web site or two in the winter to keep myself busy.
2) what would add/change/remove from the forums if you could (meaning that we will not let you but you can always dream :p)
I would add a button that members could click when they notice a fluff spammer. It would shoot lava filled knives into the face of the spammer. If you could work on that, I'd surely appreciate it.
we do have it... it is our report button. You can click on it to report spammers, fluffers and annoying stuff in general... a little flag under the member's name. So that's homework done! :D
3) your user name talks about kitties but your avatar is a man throwing a bull (is it a bull? well, something big) why? I mean... what did the bull did to you? Has it has a name? do you hate it for some reason? Don't you think that's animal cruelty? :p
Imaginekitty is a domain name that I've owned for quite some time. The name comes from a painting by a friend that had a cat deep in though. I guess you'd have to see it.
The man throwing the bull is the indomitable George Washington. The first president of the United States of America and champion bull chucker.
4) It is obvious that you like .NET forum more than the others because that's where you post all the time... do you always think about programming? have you learnt any other (programming) languages?
When I was 14 I got my first computer, a TI-99/4A and learned BASIC and Extended BASIC. At 16 I had a neighbor that was a programmer and he taught me COBOL. I'm self-taught in classic ASP and ASP.NET except for the help I've received here, especially from Serenarules and honeymonster! Of course my passion is standards-based markup using CSS but for some reason though, I just don't post in the HTML or CSS sections here. I was at one time named guru/moderator at another forum for CSS but refusing to be a spoonfeeder got me a few threats and nothing but frustration so in a moment of weakness I deleted my account. I really don't know how moderators can do what they do. It's usually so thankless.
5) how about leisure? what do you do when you want to relax?
What is "relax"? :p
6) Sports are:
a) To play and practice
b) To watch
c) to watch on TV while I'm comfortably sitting in my living room
d) don't care about them
I really don't care about sports. So I pick "d".
7) how about social media? do you like it, love it, hate it or ignore it? Are you one of those that use the mobile phone to twitter and use facebook?
I use facebook sparingly but have noticed that no matter what you do, somehow people you don't know want to be your friend. I really can't figure out the purpose of twitter. Forums make more sense to me.
9) If you had to define yourself, how would you describe yourself?
I'm a rather staunch Christian person. I try to help where I can. I try to be nice, too, but that doesn't always work. ;)
10) how do you think that others see you?
It seems, in real life, that people are intimidated by me. It's strange because I'm very soft-spoken. I don't understand it at all.
11) you know that SPF hates spam and self-promotion but if you wanted to promote (either yourself or one of your projects) I will be kind and look somewhere else while you blantly break the rules :)
May I interest you in some off brand shoes or a knock-off Gucci bag? :lol:
Back in 2003 I made a mod for phpBB2 for including Bible verses in posts. At the time there were no others that I could find. I have since ported it to Wordpress and then to ASP.NET. It's a bit of a mess on the .NET side and I do plan to clean it up one day. If anyone is interested in helping make it better, let me know.
12) what would be your ideal life?
I've learned to be content in lack and in abundance. Ideal doesn't enter into it.
13) where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
I've never been a goal setter. I let you know in 5 years. :p
14) any suggestions to other SPF members that would like to be our members of the month?
I don't really know how or why I was even considered. I appreciate it though. I guess it all boils down to "BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER".