What I want? Suggestions...
My Goal? To increase traffic to my site at no or almost no cost...
I am out of ideas. My site really doesn't get the amount of traffic it could be getting and I want to raise this.
What I've done...
* Goto.com listings, about 100
* Run a weekly ezine which pulls visitors back to my site yet provides content making the ezine worth reading
* Trade links (3 trades with my site, and I trade links in my newsletter but not many)
* Post in forums like this one, SitePoint forums have lead 300 visits to my site since April.. pretty good but what is 300, really? I don't sell products so it doesn't help an advertising-supported site.
* Included a signature in every email I send
* Made a site which is updated often to attract return-visitors
* Listed in major search engines, Yahoo! still attempting
* Tried classified and freebie sites
* Avoided FFAs
* Entered contest and won impressions on other sites http://www.SitePoint.com/forums/wink.gif
SO, what can I do NOW to increase my traffic? All I can think of is to write articles but that isn't really working.
And my advertising company just dropped my account without any real explanation ("we've elected to drop your account") so I'm trying to find some revenue stream. I've applied to several Commission Junction merchants/affiliate programs today that pay per click and I'm waiting for them to review my site. If they don't approve me it's back to searching for advertisers.
Right now I get about 250 visits a day (visits not pageviews/hits i know the difference). This is extremely low, I've put a lot of work into my site and I wanted some return on it. Advertising.com was sending me a good $40/mo before they suddenly dropped my account...
Suggestions welcome, please!
Reciprocal linking.. Lots of it. You have traded links with 3 sites??? Why so few. Get your site listed on as many sites as possible. Try freebie web tool sites, script sites, Sitepoint (though with the similar interface I am not sure about that). List your sites on advanced development sites like Site Experts. Submit articles to highly trafficked sites like Sitepoint, WebReview, WebReference. Get your own hosted articles listed in exchanges like Article Central. Submit articles for newsletters and mailing lists. Syndicate some articles for posting on other sites.
All of the above only cost you time.
Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
Redesigned the site a week and a half ago, my own design http://www.SitePoint.com/forums/smile.gif No more sitepoint-style.
Now I have to integrate in an area for links (either on pages or on a separate page though I want to avoid a 'links' page in favor of link trades with bigger sites right on parts of my site).
Thanks for the tips.