In order to get a CGI script I'm trying to install, working, I need to have a MySQL database created and installed.
Problem. I don't know how to do anything with mySQL...
If anyone has time to create, or teach me how to create a very simple, small database in mySQL I would be a very happy man :)
We specialise in answering 'idiotic' questions cheerfully and repeatedly... Right guys? * ;) at rest of forum*
Unless you manage your own server, you should ask your host if a MySQL DB already exists for your use; or ask them to set one up for you if they haven't already done so. They will supply you with the relevant details.
If you run your own server, there are two options :
1. If you have phpMyAdmin already and have root access, it's quite easy - you'll see a 'Create Database' option as soon as you load phpMyAdmin up. However, you need to have logged in as root or have the appropriate 'permissions level' to create one.
2. If you don't have phpMyAdmin, but have Telnet, then telnet into your server, find your mysql directory (do a 'whereis mysql'), then run mysql as root. Then follow the instructions here :
Read it carefully as well as the rest of the chapter.
Apologies for the long post, but I was trying to cover all the bases and possible situations :)
I checked my host, and on the features page it reads that MySQL is part of the package, so it's there somewhere. I can't find it when I login to the FTP, so I might as well just ask 'them' where the hell it is, eh?
Thanks for the help.
If it's part of the package, go and annoy them and they should be able to tell you where MySQL is, where phpMyAdmin is... etc. etc. Good luck.
Jake do you have a shell account with your host if you do you should be able to login to mysql from the shell prompt as well. They should have provided you with a MySQL username and password.
From the shell prompt
mysql -u yourusername --password=yourpassword
you use ftp to transfer your files, if you wanna work on remote machine there is one easy way, it is shell access (as freddy said) to machine where your account is.
you can use (if you use windows) these steps
1. Start-> Run
2. telnet yourdomainname.com
3. you should see a login screen if not contact your hosting company and stop here.
4. Enter login name and password.
5. And do what freddy says
The easiest way to work with MYSQL is uploading phpMyAdmin to your account and install there. It makes your life easier. Search the forums for phpMyAdmin
Remember telnet is higly insecure if your host supports ssh I would suggest using it. phpMyAdmin is easier to use, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't learn MySQL it like using Dreamweaver instead of learning html.