Is minifying and combining scripts (and CSS) somewhat of a bandwagon?
First of all let me make it clear:
- I understand the benefit of minifying large scripts. E.g. JQuery ~halves in size when minified
- I don't work on huge sites, I'm talking about small-to-medium sites
- I'm not saying my opinion is right, it's more I'm interested in why some people minify everything
My current qualms are:
- I think minifying CSS is almost pointless. At most you save a few kb—unless you do it for obfuscation
- For a small site minifying your site-specific scripts is equally pointless for the same reasons as above
- Combining oft-used scripts into a single file is a good idea but I've seen web developers act in a condascending way about HTTP request yet they have an image gallery on their home page with 20 images—ergo 20 extra HTTP requests. Come on, are they that bad? If you have a decent hoster, I don't see a problem here
So what do you think? Is minifying and combining scripts (and CSS) somewhat of a bandwagon?