And bam, episode 13! This week I had the honor of catching up with logo and identity designer David Airey to discuss his career and thoughts on freelancing, pro bono work, and identity design.
Download this Episode
You can download this episode as a standalone MP3 file:
- Design Festival Podcast #13: David Airey on Freelancing (MP3, 43:59, 42.2 MB)
You can subscribe to the Design Festival Podcast either directly or via iTunes — add the Design Festival Podcast to iTunes.
- Intro: David and his career
- Career paths, freelancing, and finding your niche through specialization
- Finding, approaching, and securing new clients
- Performing pro bono publico work and its benefits
- Becoming an author, self-publishing and going through publishers
- Pre-fetching data to improve responsiveness — inspiration from the Flash days?
- Doing it all again — things we’d do differently
- Opening your own studio?
- Tips for aspiring designers: do it because you love it and do it with humility — mottos to live by
- Show close
The intro and outro music this week is by Reznor again, with Track 12 from Ghosts, the fantastic Creative Commons-licensed instrumental 36-track album by Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails).
We’re a tad behind on the transcripts. They’ll be updated soon and added soon!