HTML5 & CSS3 for the Real World
Found a mistake that’s not listed here? You clever monkey! Contact us to let us know.
We’ll try to get it fixed for the next print run.
Corrections and Typos
1st edition, May 2011
Where it says:
"What this means is that you could take any of your current projects containing valid HTML4 or XHTML markup, change the doctype to HTML5 (which we’ll cover in Chapter 2), and the page will still validate and appear the same as it did before."
It should say:
"What this means is that you could take any of your current projects containing valid HTML4 or XHTML markup, change the doctype to HTML5 (which we’ll cover in Chapter 2), and with a few minor tweaks, the page will still validate and appear the same as it did before."
- p.43 code block
There is a missing closing
ptag between the second and third paragraphs.
- p.52 First paragraph
Regarding the "reversed" attribute, where it says:
" ... when present, reverses the order of the list items."
It should say: " ... when present, reverses the numbering of the list items, while keeping the items in the same order."
- p.58 In the code example register.html, the id attribute is missing its initial quotation mark; it should read id="rating"
- p.79 In the example that uses the new color input type, the code example reads type="text" when it should be type="color"
- p.79 Last paragraph Under "Dates and Times" the line breaks up the input type "datetime-local" so it looks like "date-time-local", which isn't valid. There shouldn't be a hyphen between "date" and "time".
- p.84 The optgroup Element section Says <optgroup> accepts nested optgroups, but this is no longer allowed. The entire section on "optgroup" should be removed.
- p.90 Table 5.1 Support for MP4/H.264/AAC for Chrome says "3–11" but this should say "3+". Chrome was supposed to drop support for it, but they haven't yet.
- p.103 First bullet point
- p.157 last code block
In the old-style -webkit-gradient syntax block, the starting and ending positions of the gradients are missing. The block should read:
background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, center top, center bottom, from(rgba(0,0,0,0.4)), color-stop(37%, rgba(0,0,0,0)), color-stop(83%, rgba(0,0,0,0)), color-stop(92%, rgba(0,0,0,0.16)), color-stop(98%, rgba(0,0,0,0)));
- p.250, 264, 327 Footnotes 13, 26, and 5, respectively These footnotes contain links to Mark Pilgrim's website "divintohtml5.org". Those links are now dead. All the links should now point to "diveintohtml5.info", with the same page names. (Mark took all his content offline and didn't provide any redirects, so the community has taken his content and put it elsewhere.)
Order the Book, eBook and Course for $59.95
What’s the Course?
The HTML5 + CSS3 Online Course
Get the benefit of online learning with the Learnable Online Course.
- 10 Lessons
- 28 Video Tutorials
- 30 day Money Back Guarantee
Plus an interactive Q&A where you can ask questions (and get answers) from fellow students and Louis the instructor.